Lifestyle - A Paradise In Little Guilin

Venue : 'Little Guilin' or 'Xiao Guilin' 小桂林 In Bukit Batok Town, Singapore.                     23 April 2011

Bukit Batok Town Park in Singapore is also known as the 'Little Guilin' or 'Xiao Guilin' after the scenic spot of Guilin In China.
<>  <> 
Footpath along the entire stretch of the Park (Picture 1)
Located in the western part of Singapore at Bukit Batok East Avenue 5, it is only a 5 minutes walk from the Bukit Gombak MRT Station.Originally constructed from a disused granite quarry, the nice rock formation as a backdrop of the pond has been converted into a park, well landscape and provided with footpath (Picture 1).  Since then, it has become a heavenly spot for family's picnic, gathering, leisure walk and  exercise especially during the weekend. The surrounding natural habitats and the pond also  acted as a barrier and has been a sanctuary for the birds and eagles too, separated from human contact.  If you are lucky, you may have a close encounter and catch a glimpse of the majestic eagle hovering above the quarry's peak.  The natural beauty of this landscape is also a favourite photographic spot for the amateur photographers and  many people like me without any photographic background would also be tempted to take a few shots. 



Favourite gathering/photographic spot (Picture 2)
It was a late Saturday's afternoon following the
Good Friday. I took the weekend opportunity to bring my kids to get them close to nature, away from the bustling city. At the same time, it was also an opportunity to test out my photographic skills armed with my new camera and tripod.
Our mood changed quickly the moment we stepped into this scenic spot (Picture 2). You can immediately sense a relaxing ambiance. There was already a family of parents and kids getting excited to net more fishes from the pond and there's also a male photographer believed to be an amateur, judging from the size of his huge telescopic len that he had. He looked tired and could have been staying at the same spot for quite some time, looking to capture some shots but we're not sure about his intention.  He just kept staring at the quarry in front of him but was not doing any shots.
My son gave me a cheeky smile and laugh out loud when I started to set up my tiny tripod and that new miniature camera. Getting his message, I knew this was quite humiliating. Without waiting for his sarcasms, I interrupted and speak firmly to him :" I don't care! I just got to get my equipment up and position it right beside him! (Referring to the amateur). On hearing my remarks, he dragged his laughter to a new heights! Ten minutes later, the man have decided to pack up. Being curious, I asked : "May I know why are you not taking any shots?". Looking disappointed, he replied : "I'm waiting for the eagle to appear." That answered to both our curiosity.  I felt sorry for him to have left in this state with all the waiting but his patience win my respect for him. The price of getting a precious photograph cannot be measured in term of money.


This  young  chap is  not  in a  real  meditative mood. He's just trying  to strike  a  pose  during that few seconds waiting for me to take the shot. Click at this picture and you'll be able to spot his side view smile. The effect turned out to be quite good and I like the look of it ! All the elements of calmness, peacefulness, tranquility and quietness were reflected in this photo shot.








Picture Gallery